Menu Home About Tutorials Style Shop Buttons

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Refashion #6 Anthro Inspired Blouse

While browsing the Anthropologie website I saw this blouse (Perdita) (below) and thought it was such a great take on a standard button front shirt. It is business-like, but fun and feminine at the same time.

I found this pink striped Old Navy shirt in my closet. I have had it for years. It's cute and still in good condition, but I don't wear it much. Do you ever just get bored of a shirt after a long time?

I knew the Anthro blouse was the ticket to revitilizing this shirt.

I gathered fabrics that matched the shirt. It has light pink, maroon, and a dark color that could be gray or brown. I chose to use both so the shirt would go with both my gray and my brown boots this fall!

I made a variety of flowers from the fabrics.

The popular rolled rosettes of course had to go on my shirt. The pink ones are made from a pillowcase (just like this necklace), the gray from a t-shirt, and the stripe from JoAnn fabric I bought just for this project.

These roses were made by cutting long 1" wide strips of shiny smooth polyester fabric. I melted the edges of the fabric with a candle. I then stitched a basting stitch (is that what it is called?) down the edge of each strip. I pulled the thread to gather the fabric, then rolled up the fabric to create the flower.

This flower was designed using the same technique as above but with cotton fabric so I didn't burn the edges. It just frays.

This brown flower was made by folding circles of fabric into fourths and stitching the points together. Mine turned out pretty uneven so I hid it under some of the other flowers.

Finally, I cut geometric shapes from the gray t-shirt of varying sizes and stacked them on top of each other. It looked too much like sweat pants, so I added a pink pearl to the center. (I also used similar flowers on another shirt refashion.)

The final flower collection:

I played around for quite awhile with the placement of the flowers. I had to decide what to do about the pocket, collar, and how close to put the flowers to the buttons. The Anthro shirt had more flowers and even strips of fabric (ribbon?) but I wanted to start simple. If I feel like it later I can always add more.

I changed from this arrangement and moved the flowers up higher as to not cover the pocket.

I attached the flowers using fabric glue but sewing might be better.

Ta da! My old shirt is now fun and fresh! I can't wait to wear it. I am thinking this shirt, skinny jeans with boots and a fabulous jacket will make a great fall outfit!

I am very excited about this shirt so it will be linked up to many of my favorite linky parties!

Tatertots and Jello

It's So Very Cheri
I Heart Naptime
Making the World Cuter

Hope Studios
Today's Creative Blog

Someday Crafts
Tea Rose Home
Blue Cricket Designs


©2011 All Rights Reserved | Website Designed by Website Design Credit

Powered by Blogger