Menu Home About Tutorials Style Shop Buttons

Monday, March 14, 2011

Plastic Cup Necklace

I found this tutorial over at Aunt Peaches for what she calls Swiss Candy Jewelry made out of plastic cups. I loved the idea, so I used the tutorial to make my own necklace.



I used cups that my mom had leftover from a few years ago when she had a birthday party for me. I followed the tutorial, except I cut the cups into circles and only punched one small hole in the top with an eyelet setter. I put mine in the toaster oven at 180 degrees for about 30 seconds. I didn't want the pieces to curl too much.



I wore it to church on Sunday with this polka dot top which was a hand-me-down! Gotta love free stuff (the shirt and the necklace).


I knew you would be dying to see my entire outfit and wouldn't be able to wait until tomorrow when I post what I wear, so I thought I would be nice and give a sneak peak. Ha ha!

I love how it turned out actually!

WARNING!!

1. Aunt Peaches gives some info and warnings about melting plastic. It could have been something else but I sure felt woozy while making this necklace. Once I opened a window I was okay. Melt the plastic at your own risk!

2. Some tiny little cuts have appeared on my hands. I think they are from the necklace. Because I didn't want the shapes to curl and took them out of the oven quickly, I don't think the edges all smoothed out. Or maybe they were just from cutting the cups and I didn't notice.

So... I wouldn't let your kids make this project, but it was a fun experiment and I think it's cute!
 

©2011 All Rights Reserved | Website Designed by Website Design Credit

Powered by Blogger