Menu Home About Tutorials Style Shop Buttons

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

DIY Hex Nut Bracelet- My Solution for a Clasp

I am sure you have seen the DIY hex nut bracelets all over Blogland. I think they are really cute so when Amber wanted to have another crafting afternoon and make some I was excited!

The original tutorial, as far as I can tell, come from this blog. It's been repeated all over the Internet, but I think we ought to give credit where credit is due. Amber showed me this picture of a hex nut bracelet made from gold hardware and strips of leather-like material worn with a gold watch. I fell in love and had to copy. If you head over to Pinterest to see the original, you'll see that I didn't do too bad.

What I couldn't figure out was how to make it wrap around my wrist, stay on, and not have a huge knot on the back. After a few minutes of experimenting, this is what I came up with.

I started by tying a large jump ring into the first knot. After completing the braiding, I kept the strips at the end of the bracelet really long and looped them through the original jump ring.

(This is another view of the same thing.) I put the bracelet on my wrist and pulled it tight to know how much extra tail I would have. I wrapped the tail around the wrist and measured how much of the tail I would need to save for it to go back around and hook into the jump ring.

On the end of the tail, I tied another knot with a jump ring in it, and attached a lobster clasp to the jump ring.

Now, I can slip on the bracelet, wrap it around my wrist again, then attach the clasp to the first jump ring and it won't fall off!

I love it! Amber also made some with silver hex nuts and red strips. So cute! I want to make one with silver and turquoise.

I hope those directions made sense. Let me know if you have questions! (aubreelarsen@gmail.com)

I'll be linking up to some of these parties!

3 comments:

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

adorable!! i did something similar with a cotton twine one...except mine just has regular knots, not pretty ones like yours! i'll have to steal this idea next time =)

John Battelle said...

I just love these fashion accessories. Keep adding them

Silver Jewelry

Gertrude Sierra said...

The bracelet looks very complicated to make, but with enough interest and patience, you can finish making one. It's time consuming, but still there are people who try it. There's something special about bracelets that's why they remain in the fashion industry. The good news is you could make a self-made bracelet to show your own style and personality.

Paracordforyou

 

©2011 All Rights Reserved | Website Designed by Website Design Credit

Powered by Blogger