Menu Home About Tutorials Style Shop Buttons

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Refashion #3 Flower Tank

The inspiration for this shirt came from this tank from Alisa Burke. But since I can't draw, paint, or really even sew her project was hopeless for me! Instead I had to create my own method to (hopefully) achieve the same effect (although hers is much prettier!).



I have had this pink tank in my closet for a long time and I rarely wear it. I bought it to wear under a hoodie, but then realized that wasn't smart because I couldn't take the hoodie off if I get hot (I don't wear tanks without something under or over them). I decided to try to spice it up a bit so I can wear it again.




First, choose your color scheme. I went through my paint collection and chose shades of pink, purple, and orange. I used acrylic paint which may or may not have been the best choice. I don't know that much about paint. I just won't be throwing this shirt in the washing machine!



Because I can't paint my own flowers I used these foam stamps from Memory Makers.




I stamped a variety of flowers in a variety of colors onto a t-shirt I got on clearance for a few dollars at Walmart (using a t-shirt instead of just white cotton is a good idea because the t-shirt won't fray).



I tried the tank on with the cardigan I was going to wear with it and pinned where I wanted the flowers so they would show the best. (No picture of this.)


Cut the flowers out and arrange them on the shirt. I had to go back and stamp and cut out more flowers a couple of times to get enough.






I realized as I was arranging the flowers that the tank would stretch when I wore it and may look funny. The best thing I could think to do (actually I think it was my husband's idea) was to stuff a pillow inside the shirt to make it stretch out.


The most professional thing to do would be to hand sew each flower on the shirt. But, I had already spent a lot of time on this shirt so I took the easy way out and hot glued the flowers on. Like I said, I won't be throwing this in the washing machine.



All done!




Oh yeah, check that out!




I am so pleased with how it turned out!




I have several more refashions coming!


In addition to my favorite linky parties on the sidebar this post will be linked up to:






make it wear it
 

©2011 All Rights Reserved | Website Designed by Website Design Credit

Powered by Blogger